Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wacky Wednesday


          The sun was definitely not our friend this morning. Bright and early at 9 am, the heat was blazing on all of our necks and faces. I wasn’t scheduled to work the high ropes this morning but I was called in to be a facilitator last minute. I was more than happy to help out, but little did I know it was already a scorching 90 degrees. Either way, I toughened through it and got myself a nice tan. After lunch I was very excited for rest period, where I planned to take a shower and fall into a deep sleep for a blissful hour and a half; that didn’t happen. I spent my rest period editing, deleting, and uploading pictures. Let me use this as the perfect time to apologize for my obscene amount of photos that I have been taking. I just don’t know when to stop! And I am so nervous that I will miss something! So I’m still working on cutting down my photos, but for now I will just have to wait another three hours for all of my photos to upload. For afternoon activities I was back to the ropes course, but this time I was facilitating the low ropes. I had yet to facilitate these elements and I really enjoyed hearing the positive feedback and encouragement being tossed around between cabin mates as they executed the courses. It was uplifting to see everyone working together as a team while also having a great time.
            For dinner, the DCT planned a secretive teaching lesson that was planted into our meal. By that I mean they planned a mini fasting for us, where at first, many people were receiving full plates of food. Coming closer and closer to the end, the amount of food on people’s plates got smaller and smaller until we had “run out” of food. They related this to how Jesus fasted during holy week and sacrificed himself for us. Of course twenty minutes later the DCT broke the news and told us how there was plenty of food and that we would soon be eating. Many were infuriated, having not eaten since lunch, while those with food felt guilty and confused. It was a great way to physically show the sacrifices Jesus made for us.
            Once our bellies were full, the last activity of the night was a game of Human Clue. We had characters ranging from contestants from Toddlers & Tiaras to a surprise appearance by Justin Bieber; let me be the first to say that I play an awesome Justin. The game was great and was finished up in the blink of eye. The most significant part of the day was unquestionably our night chapel service. A foot washing took place where the counselors of each cabin washed the feet of their campers. Throughout the foot washing, we sang beautiful songs that you might classify as “camp anthems”; those songs that everybody has memorized. The DCT also planned for us to have a prayer vigil fire that will last throughout tonight and into the early hours of the morning. I actually just finished my “shift” of tending the fire, but after program staff finished every cabin will have a thirty-minute shift to tend the fire until the wee hours of the morning. Some shifts start at 4AM! Needless to say, everyone will be a little bit groggy in the morning. That’s all for now, I hope you all are still enjoying these dysfunctional sentences I am throwing together at one in the morning. Goodnight, and sweet dreams!
            Love to all,
                    Lena B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment