Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Camper, The Ropes and the Labyrinth



Please excuse my tardiness, I was suppose to post this last night but I ended up falling asleep on the computer. This is a blog about yesterday's activities and events. Thank you!

Today, I was able to experience the life of a camper. Yes, at one point, many years ago (not really), I was also a camper. Working as a Work Crew member last summer, I wasn’t really involved in camp life as much as I wish I had been. And now, as photographer, I am more of a passer-by who snaps shots and moves along. But I am destined to change that. I will not be shut behind closed doors. Yes, I do in fact do more behind the scenes activities while at camp, but I am determined to get to know these campers and for them to get to know me as well. While taking pictures during one of the Ultimate Frisbee games, my friend Tyler asked if he could take pictures for me so that I could play; I was very eager to play, and I was hoping that someone would soon sense my enthusiasm. I had the time of my life! I love Ultimate Frisbee, and I am so grateful that I was able to play.
Today, two more of the ropes course elements were finished; the spider web and suspension bridge. It was really great to see the campers interact and to try to figure out the most effective way of executing the task in front of them. We have an element called the trust fall, and you literally place your trust in the hands of others while they catch you from a four-foot drop. The campers’ hands and forearms are placed at the edge of the “faller’s” feet as they await the anticipated drop. While being completely safe, I feel that this element is the scariest as well as the most emotionally demanding. To put your trust in others you don’t quite know while falling into the graces of their arms isn’t exactly a picture perfect image. This element takes guts, and definitely challenges you. But in the end, it is also the most rewarding.
Today, we had a special dedication ceremony for a Labyrinth that was built on campgrounds. Mason, a soon-to-be junior in high school, chose to build a Labyrinth at Camp Capers for his Eagle Scout service project. Secretively, his family surprised him at camp while being joined by Bishop Gary Lillibridge. The Bishop gave a beautiful dedication ceremony that included the commemoration of Mason’s hard work and effort in making this sacred place more beautiful.
The day ended with a game of counselor hunt and a touching teaching by our DCT. We talked about Jesus and his encounter with the money-changers and how Jesus was upset that so many economical things were taking place in the temple in Jerusalem, a place of worship. Jesus wanted to send the message that these two worlds should be separate; worship should not include thoughts of money and greed and wealth.
Today, we begin our journey for tomorrow. Tomorrow, we begin our journey to forever. The Lord Almighty grant us a peaceful night and a perfect end. Until tomorrow…
    Love to all,
            Lena B.  

No comments:

Post a Comment