Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Screamer


          Today, we were all a little tired; but that didn’t stop us. Today was a normal scheduled day, but a GREAT day at the least. I think that we all especially enjoyed the extended rest period. It definitely gave us an extra boost for an exciting afternoon. Like always, the pool was great and enjoyed by all, same goes for the river. I think the highlight of my day was going and hanging out by the Screamer. I stayed down there a little extra longer today and I’m glad I did. A lot of the kids went all the way up to the top with no problem at all, while others needed a little pep talk to get barely past half way up. The most memorable image that sticks in my head is the moment when they counted down 3-2-1 and let go. The sheer image of fear mixed with joy spread across their face with a grin that reached from ear to ear. With clutched fingertips around the cable and eyes wide open, they let go. They did it. They committed. And they were proud! We were proud.
            Day by day these kids change my life and teach me a lesson. Today, that lesson was to challenge myself; to face my fears. Let me tell you, when I went on the Screamer a couple of weeks ago, I didn’t want to go to the top. Lucky for me, I have great friends who don’t tend to listen to me at all and took me all the way to the top anyways. I couldn’t even count to three because I was crying so hard. I mean, was I really serious!? I am an 18-year-old woman who wouldn’t even verbally commit herself to a task that primary campers would do in a heartbeat. That is what amazes me. I need to live a life where I can overcome a challenge faced before me, even if it is as silly as being pulled up 60 feet in the air and swinging on a giant wire. Tomorrow is our last full day and I am determined to make it the best. With a talent show and bonfire in store, there is no doubt that tomorrow is looking great.
            Love to all,
                 Lena B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment