Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ropes Course Training



Success. That was definitely the end product that came from our rigorous three day ropes course training. Most of us, never having been certified to operate a ropes course, became completely knowledgable on the in's and out's of surveying and operating the ropes courses at Camp Capers. It was definitely the hardest type of training I have ever been through. Being in the sun from 9 am to 5 pm every day is very exhausting. If you haven't ever done so, I wouldn't recommend it. But, with my wide brimmed hat in check, sunglasses on, and zinc oxide on my nose, I set out with ambition, anxiousness, and courage to face the challenges I had yet to face. In the end, I am proud to say that I am fully functional in operating the zip-line as well as being able to stay atop the crow's nest for more than just ten minutes before begging to come back down. I also went on the Screamer, and let me tell you, they call it the Screamer for a reason.
I learned a lot of things, as well as gained a lot of lessons. One lesson that I now keep very close to my heart is as much as the ropes courses is physically demanding, it is also very mentally and emotionally demanding as well. Having that right mind set is key, and no matter what you have to keep telling yourself that you can attain anything that is in your reach. In this case, it would be the rock above your left hand. I really got to see an example of this first hand through our music director named Danny. This boy is EXTREMELY scared of heights. We all did not think he would even attempt at anything, but he definitely exceeded our expectations. Not only did he climb the rock wall, but he went all the way up to the crows nest. When he reached the top, he hugged that pole with his dear life. We could all tell he was still a little nervous, but with support and encouragement he came back down, faster than all of us might I add. He followed through with his choices and succeeded far beyond his goals.
Tomorrow begins a new training; with all of program staff present we will begin to ease into summer mode and complete some last minute tasks. Every day that comes, I just get more and more excited for campers to finally get here. I can't wait!
Love to all
    - Lena B.


No comments:

Post a Comment